Okay, maybe it's not all that great to look at, but they are great. The paper peeled off so easily! This was a huge plus for me. They were delicious, though everyone who tried them weren't too sure what kind of muffin they were. Maybe I'll add more ginger next time..
They were very fluffy. Maybe because I "soured" the milk (my favorite technique when baking ;) ) I just ate 3 because they were all fresh out the oven because..it just had to be done. See, not eating three, now THAT would be the crime (it all smelt so good...) Nothing is better than a warm muffin right out of the oven. Nothing except for 3 warm muffins right out of the oven.
What you'll need:
-3/4 cup milk
-2 tablespoons white vinegar
-1/2 cup butter
-1 cup sugar
-3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
-2 teaspoons lemon juice
-3 cups all purpose flour
-2 teaspoons ground ginger
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1 teaspoon salt
1. Pour the milk and the vinegar in a small bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes to "sour"
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Add the eggs and the lemon juice, and mix well.
3. Preheat the oven to 350˚F
4. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Slowly alternate between adding the dry ingredients and the "sour" milk to the sugar mixture until blended.
5. Line a muffin pan with baking cups.
6. Bake for 16-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack.