18 May 2012

Oatmeal Pancakes

It seems fitting that these pancakes ended up being extremely flat.

I never understood why the expression is "as flat as a pancake" when, if you go to a restaurant to order pancakes, they advertise how thick and fluffy they are. Well that was what I was going for with these pancakes in the morning. What happened?








Yeah, that happened to prove a point right? Flat pancakes are just as good as thick and fluffy pancakes. Sure, I'll pretend it was intentional.

Not quite a pancake, not quite a crepe, these were delicious none the less.







What you'll need:

 -3/4 cup milk
-2 tablespoons vinegar
-1/2 cup all purpose flour
-1 tablespoon sugar (I used splenda)
-1/2 cup oats
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1 egg


Directions:

    1.    In a small bowl, combine milk and vinegar and let it stand for around 5 minutes to "sour"
    2.    In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
    3.   Whisk vanilla extract, egg and olive oil into the "soured" milk. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, and whisk it together until the batter is smooth.
    4.   Heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Scoop 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, and flip when bubbles are covering the surface of the pancake. Flip and cook the other side until it is golden. 



You might also like:
Apple Pumpkin Muffin Pancakes 
Plain Pancakes 

19 comments:

  1. Who cares if they're flat, they look yummy! I always do that when I make a mistake, I just pretend that it was meant to be like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the pancakes look good!!!!maybe the be splenda was responsible for making them flat?.whatever the reason..they look good enough to eat right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are spot on. beautiful. I am really glad you hosted this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't matter if the pancakes end up flat or not because I think it still looks good!! I have only attempted making pancakes from scratch a few times but I could never get the texture quite right >_<

    Liz
    chewylove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you're pretending that this was intentional ... I do that kind of stuff all the time ... Happy Weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't care if they're flat or fluffy! The flavor is what counts! Love the oats and vanilla in these pancakes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pancakes must be full of flavour. Really delicious combination of flavours. Have a nice weekend X

    ReplyDelete
  8. delicious looking pancakes. love it

    ReplyDelete
  9. As long as they're delicious, I'll take them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great recipe! Very healthy way to start the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sure looks good; just might just be on Sunday morning's menu.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  12. My, these are flat, as, well, a pancake! :) I find the fluffy ones really filling, so these look just right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  13. as long as it's delicious, who cares if it's flat or fluffy?? i dont. happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A trick to fluffy pancakes? Let your batter sit for 20 minutes - the baking powder does it's magic and you'll get fluffy pancakes every time.

    They still look delicious though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually love flat pancakes. The thinner, the better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't mind to have them flat, they still look pretty good

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Cathleen, these look yummy! The biggest oatmeal/pancake lover you will ever meet, right here. I am marking these to make this week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used to eat oatmeal pancakes at a local restaurant and they were flat like this also. But very moist--and delicious!

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.