11 Jul 2012

Cranberry-Orange Scones



There is something about dried fruit that makes me smile. All the flavor of fruit concentrated into little, easy to eat bite size pieces.

I have never had dried cranberries before. It was a dried mango kind of girl. It was my boyfriend who introduced me. Now as I start loving them, he's discovering that he's allergic. Oh well, more for me!


 Still in the pan, how I want one..

After the first time that I've made scones, I just can't stop making them. 
Reasons why I love scones:
1. They are very easy to make
2. They are tasty
3. The recipes are very forgiving: if I screw up and the scones become flat, they still taste great
4. ...They are VERY tasty




So these weren't all that sweet. Which is nice, because I have been making quite a few sweet things recently. I think if I made this a second time, I would sprinkle some sugar on top of them. Either way, these were great!





Cranberry-Orange Scones
printable recipe


Ingredients:

-2 cups all-purpose flour
-1/3 cup white sugar
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
-8 teaspoons butter
-1 egg
-1/2 cup sour cream
-1/2 cup dried cranberries
-1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange rind


Directions:

    1.   Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
    2.   In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in butter until the mixture looks like oatmeal (or fine crumbs)
    3.   In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and sour cream. Add it to the flour mixture, mixing until fully incorporated. Fold in the cranberries and the grated orange rind.
    4.   Form a ball with the batter, and press into a lightly sprayed pie pan and cut it into wedges.
    5.   Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Let cool on wire racks


You might also like:
Eggless Lemon Cranberry Scones 
Chocolate Cantaloupe and Cranberry Smoothie 
Apple Pie Cookie 

25 comments:

  1. wow.. absolutely delicious.. they looks very crunchy..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't take my eyes off those scones...and must say Cathleen, your pics are getting better with every post.

    - Meg's Delicious Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would LOVE these for breakfast right now! I'm missing cranberry because I miss Winter, since we barely had one this year! That said..I really hope you try the sesame chicken sliders..I'm so proud of the changes I made..they're delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cranberries and orange are a match made in heaven! What delicious scones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathleen, I love your scones, it look so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with what you said about dried fruit.

    That, and idyllic images of homey grandmas taking their sugar-preserved orange peels and raisins from the pantry :)

    Warm greetings,
    Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious combo love cranberry and orange in anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I agree with you that dried fruit is so terrific. I love the combo of cranberry and orange, but I've never had it in a scone. In fact I've never made a scone! Silly, because they're so good, and pretty easy to make. Good post - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look super delicious and quick to make. Just the way I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lov making scones,looks perfect n yummm

    ReplyDelete
  11. The last time I baked scones was ages ago. Your scones look so beautiful and perfect. The orange zest brings out the aroma in it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always find the combo of cranberry and orange zest classy... I love this scone flavor, definitely one of my all time favorites.
    P.S. I'm a dried mango girl too!
    P.P.S. How unfortunate that the boyfriend is allergic to dried cranberries... That is weird...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like dried fruits too! I recently tried dried blueberries and they`re delicious! I`m sure they`ll be good here here too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your scones look lovely...so perfectly dainty and filled with yummy things.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this looks wonderful! Could have all of them with my tea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love scones! I used to get one almost everyday from Starbucks. These look absolutely delicious! I guess I'm baking some scones this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would be sad if I was allergic to those little tasty bites. Those scones look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can imagine these for breakfast, look divine :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha ! I always overmix my scone mixture pfffttt :P That scones looks perfect to me and it has everything that I want in my sweet scones ! :D Delicious bakes , Cathleen !

    ReplyDelete
  20. A day that begins with a scone must be a great day!!
    Orange and cranberry are great together.
    yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. what great looking scones, they look so fluffy! it's morning now here, throw one here pls!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great article with excellent idea! I appreciate your post. Thanks so much and let keep on sharing your stuffs keep it up.religion and food

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.