Wednesday, 8 August 2012

Goat Cheese Egg Salad



The other day, there was a sale on eggs. A SALE. On EGGS. 

I thought I was dreaming. I buy eggs like it's going out of fashion, and will never make a comeback.  So I wasn't worried about the 2 dozen eggs still in my fridge, I was going to buy the eggs till I reach the limit. Sadly, the limit was three dozen.




Most people would think that this amount of eggs can never be used before it expires. But have no fear, egg salad pretty much uses a whole dozen. And eggs are a great breakfast. I just had my first boiled egg in YEARS!

This is really weird for me, considering that "boiled eggs" was the first words I said when I was a kid. My parents thought it was cute, until I would make them read my favorite picture books. In one of the frames, there was a picture of a bear sitting at the breakfast table eating a boiled egg. I would point and yell "BOILED EGG!! BOILED EGG!!" and my parents would give an exasperated "Cathleen, that is not the point of the story, they are JUST eating breakfast"




So I made double, triple, I don't even know how much of this egg salad, but I loved it. I put it on crackers, made sandwiches, and of course just straight out of the bowl. Over the kitchen sink. Classy.




So I think I know what I'll be making for lunch everyday when I go back to school. Yes, packing my own lunch. I'll give it a try. Whenever I don't think I can do it, I'll just remember how delicious this tastes. And I will make it before you could say hamburger. (Even though it's summer, I haven't had a hamburger in so long. Weird, I know...)




What you'll need:

-8 eggs
-1/2 cup mayonnaise
-2 teaspoons goat cheese (I used fine herb goat cheese)
+salt and pepper to taste


Directions

    1.   Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring the water to a boil and immediately remove from heat.
    2.   Let eggs stand in the hot water for around 10 minutes
    3.   Remove from hot water, and place in a bowl of cold water. Peel the eggs, and chop them into cubes.
    4.   Place the chopped eggs into a medium bowl and stir in the mayonnaise and goat cheese. Season with salt and pepper.


You might also like:
Chipotle Egg Salad  
Generic Tuna salad 
Panini Salmon Melt 

22 comments:

  1. very funny.. i too liked boiled eggs in childhood but lost the interest now :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious looks like your are good kid, my little one doesn't like boiled egg. This egg salad looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so delicious! I love that you added the goat's cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE egg salad! I eat it right out of the bowl too and sometimes I put cream cheese in it - next time I'm going with the goat cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Cathleen, I love egg mayonnaise sandwich!! Unfortunately I won't be able to find goat cheese at my place here..... This is so good for breakfast and a snack. Oh, I really loves this sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hard-boiled eggs. In fact I have one for breakfast almost everyday. So yeah, I can understand your excitement with boiled eggs when you were a tad! But what I haven't made for some time is egg salad. Really like the idea of using goat cheese in it - I'll try that sometime for sure. Nice post - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats my friend, I have awarded you and your awesome blog the Versatile Blogger Award :D
    Check it out here: http://gobakeyourself.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/wishing-for-spring/

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would love to try goat cheese as well ! But will settle for mayo which kinda boring sometimes :D So I add some bacon or ham which is really good ;D ..... Eggs going out of fashion ?! That will be the day ! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think you hit on a universal favourite here...boiled eggs!my biggest nightmare is getting allergic to eggs!.......lovely egg salad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love goat cheese and goat milk, in Sicily when I was small we used to drink only goat's milk because it was the only one available. I am going to borrow your wholewheat and buttermilk pancake recipe, I love buttermilk pancakes. Following you from Rome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks rich and creamy...

    I have an award waiting for you on my blog... please collect it at your convenience...

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love the goat cheese in this egg salad! such a creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE egg salad, and the goat cheese addition is genius. I also rarely pay attention to expire dates ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great twist adding goat cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this is such a simple egg salad recipe! I love eating egg salad sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love egg salad and the idea of adding a little goat cheese sounds delicious. I always use mustard, green olives, and celery in my egg salad (along with mayo), so this would be a good way to get me to change it up a little.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi cathleen hope you have a good time camping. I love egg mayonnaise but never tried that with goat cheese, infact i've never tried goat cheese. I love to have a bite at your sandwiches!! me too storing eggs all the time but i dont think i have many as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never been that enthusiastic about egg salad...but with goat cheese. I might become it's very own cheerleader.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea! I would have never thought to add goat cheese to egg salad. I love it with smoked paprika, but I'm adding the cheese next time too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I usually bring this on picnics but never tried it with goats cheese which is BTW a really good idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...