I was walking through the aisles of the grocery store, when I see a sign on a box of cookies. It said "grab breakfast by the biscuits" Now this really jumped out at me. Breakfast? Down the cookie aisle? Impossible.
As soon as I payed for my groceries, I rushed home to make my own breakfast-y cookie. You may be thinking "Oh no Cathleen, what did you come up with now?"
I don't know about you, but I love the flavor of cinnamon in the morning. It warms the cockles of my...stomach. And I approve of cookies at any time of the day.
This actually turned out more like a pancake than a cookie. As in the texture. So the cookie as breakfast transition was smoother than I intended. Because who can say no to a portable pancake. I certainly can't.
What you'll need:
-8 tablespoons butter, melted
-2/3 cup brown sugar
-2/3 cup white sugar
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1 cup all purpose flour
-1 cup whole wheat flour
-2 tablespoons cornstarch
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
-2 small apples. peeled, cored and diced
-1/4 cup sugar
-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
2. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and the vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flours, cornstarch, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until fully incorporated. Fold in the apples.
4. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon with 1/4 cup of sugar5. Form little balls with the batter and dip the tops into the cinnamon sugar. Place on a lightly sprayed baking sheet.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the edges are golden. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
You might also like: