Sunday, 25 August 2013
Chipotle Popcorn Chicken
I have company!
I have two visitors at my house staying for a week. And when there are visitors, I get right into their face to see what their food preferences are.
Maybe I'm not as direct about it as I'm making it seem, but I like to know what I'm dealing with, so that I can cook something that they cannot refuse.
So the first thing I did when they arrived from the airport was take them out for dinner. This way I can see what kind of food they would eat without me outright asking. The ordered buffalo chicken. Mental note: they will eat chicken.
While we were talking, they mentioned that they just LOVE kettle corn. Note to self: likes popcorn.
Now being the fantastic detective that I am, I concluded that I should be making some popcorn chicken. So that's what I did.
But to kick it up a spicy notch, I added some chipote peppers. I for one cannot get enough chipotle peppers in my life. I love the taste of chipotle, be it in pepper form or the chipotle powder. I have put chipotle in many egg salads lately like my chipotle egg salad or my mango red pepper chipotle egg salad, but I decided that I should leave the egg salad alone, and try pairing it up with some chicken.
And it worked wonders. This chicken was a huge hit, and is suitable for picky eaters everywhere!
Adapted from Jo Cooks
What you'll need:
-1 cup milk
-1 tablespoon vinegar
-2 large chicken breasts, boneless, skinless and cut into cubes
-4 chipotle peppers, chopped finely
-2 tablespoons cornstarch
+salt and pepper to taste
+oil for frying
You might also like:
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the milk and vinegar and let sit for around 5 minutes.
2. Whisk in the chipotle peppers, egg, cornstarch, salt and pepper.
3. Place the chicken in the batter and let sit in the fridge for a couple of hours.
4. Pour some breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl and coat each piece of chicken with breadcrumbs.
5. Heat the oil on medium heat, and fry the chicken on both sides for 3-5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Place on paper towels to soak up some of the oil. Repeat with all the chicken pieces.