20 Nov 2013
Nutella Filled Chocolate Cupcakes with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
Just as I have finished recovering from my food overload on Canadian Thanksgiving, I see a whole host of delicious recipes for people preparing for American Thanksgiving. And I have got to say, I'm getting stuffed just looking at them.
But in the best way possible, of course!
Since I am quite the jealous type when it comes to food, as I scan through the glorious Thanksgiving recipes planning a second thanksgiving. A Thanksgiving that will be more perfect than the last because I have all these new, fantastic recipes.
So instead of making something deliciously savory to serve for this second Thanksgiving (since I don't think I can top my chestnut stuffing) I will make a dessert to make on special occasions like Thanksgiving or Christmas or, you know...Thursdays...
And of course, since I promised you before, here is another Nutella recipe.
It's crazy that this is my second Nutella filled treat this week. I mean, first was my Nutella filled cookies and now this? If I'm not careful, I'll fill the turkey with Nutella. That is, if I get a turkey. For some reason, I'm not too into eating turkey. Maybe because it's not dessert.
So here's wishing you a fabulous, Nutella filled Thanksgiving! Although I'm not sure my cupcakes will make it until then...
What you'll need:
-1/2 cup cocoa powder
-1 cup boiling hot water
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1/3 cup whole wheat flour
-2 teaspoon baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/2 cup butter, softened
-1/2 cup white sugar
-1/2 cup brown sugar
-2 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
-1 cup butter, softened
-7.5 cups icing sugar
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1/2 teaspoon brandy extract
-1 cup shredded coconut
1. Cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the boiling water and cocoa until fully combined. Let cool to room temperature.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder and salt.
4. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs and beat in until smooth. Beat in the vanilla.
5. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until fully incorporated. Add in the cooled cocoa mixture and stir until smooth.
6. Fill the prepared muffin pan 2/3 full with batter and bake for around 16-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool on wire racks.
7. Frosting: In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese. Slowly add in the icing sugar until fully incorporated, then blend in the randy extract. Fold in the coconut.
8. With a paring knife, cut a hole in the center of each cupcake. Pour a spoonful of Nutella in the cavity and place the circle of cupcake you just removed on top. If necessary, trim the removed circle of cake so that it will fit. Pipe the prepared frosting on top.