Thursday, 13 February 2014

Apple Cheddar Cheese Biscuits



Around Christmastime last year, I made some cheese biscuits. Those cheese biscuits are by far the most requested baked good for me to bake at my house. They disappear within a day. They are seriously THAT GOOD. I didn't think I could ever top that recipe.

UNTIL NOW!




I saw some apple and cheddar cheese scones being sold at a coffee shop where I get my usual coffee and chocolate croissant, and I thought OH MY GOD! I could make that!! Not the chocolate croissant..I made croissants once before, but they took SO long! I need something quick and easy to make on a weekday.





So here we go. My very own apple cheddar cheese scones... or biscuits?

I just googled the difference between scones and biscuits, and from what I've gathered, I would classify these as biscuits.

But whatever you call them, there is no arguing that these are some pretty tasty hunks of food if I do say so myself.




What you'll need:

-2 cups all-purpose flour
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-2 teaspoons white sugar
-4 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
-1/2 cup shortening
-2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
-2/3 cup milk
-1 large apple, peeled, cored and cubed


Directions:

    1.   Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
    2.   In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt sugar baking powder and cream of tartar. Pour into a food processor, and add the shortening. Pulse to mix until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
    3.   Stir in the cheese with a fork. Mix in the milk until fully combined. Fold in the apples.
    4.   Turn the dough onto a floured surface, and flatten into a rectangular shape. Cut the dough into squares.
    5.   Place the dough onto a ungreased baking sheet, and bake for around 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

13 comments:

  1. I love eating apples and cheddar together, but have never cooked/baked them together. Clearly I've been missing out. Your biscuits sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the combination of flavours. They look very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These biscuits would be perfect for breakfast.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ONE OF my favorite snacks back in the day when I could eat fruit and dairy, was Gruyere cheese and Granny Smith Apples! AMAZING!!! I never thought about throwing those two things into my third favorite thing, BREAD! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got hits but more misses when it comes to scones :P The ones I've made last time looks bleh tsk tsk ! I want the texture just like yours :D Scones or Biscuits ?! As long as it's delicious , I'm good lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh these biscuits sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that these are a mix of sweet and savory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cathleen, these biscuits looks wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Healthy and delicious biscuits, lovely combination! Thanks Cathleen for visiting and for your sweet words :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm biscuits. My husband has been begging me to make him biscuits and I don't know why i've been putting it off. Love the flavors in these!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love apples in biscuits. Curious about cheddar cheese. Bet its so delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been loving biscuits lately (actually, I love biscuits all the time...i've just been making them a lot lately haha). Anyways, it's a great idea to add cheddar + apples!!! I need to get more creative with my biscuit making!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...