30 Jul 2014

Apple Cheesecake Cookie Bars



I am back!!! Back to the real world. Back where there is internet. Back to reality.

Even though I am sad to be back from my vacation, being back means baking is back!




Coming back from vacation always means baking withdrawal for me. I feel like I'm gravitating towards the kitchen with every passing hour, even though I am ridiculously tired. Obviously you can tell what my list of priorities looks like.

And I know it's not apple season quite yet, I have been seeing a lot of "back to school" advertisements lately. So my train of thought went: Back to school...fall...apples...I am so craving apples.. 




I was also craving some cheesecake. Because seriously.. when am I not craving cheesecake?

The weird thing about me and making cheesecake is that I have never actually made a cheesecake before. Like an actual cream cheese circular cake. Sure I have made things resembling cheesecake using Greek yogurt, like my 4 ingredient Greek yogurt no bake cheesecake or my raspberry Greek yogurt cheesecake. I have made mini versions or cheesecakes, like the mini peanut butter cup cheesecakes, ot the mini Oreo cheesecakes. I have even made something similar to these bars: my cookie dough cheesecake bars.

But I have been too scared to make an actual one. Maybe one day I will find the courage.But for now, you can try these delicious cheesecake bars. You will be coming and going from your fridge door all day, I can guarantee it.






Apple Cheesecake Cookie Bars
printable recipe


What you'll need:

Dough:
-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
-1/2 cup brown sugar
-1 cup butter, softened

Cheesecake filling:
-2 8-oz packages cream cheese, softened
-1/2 cup white sugar
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-2 eggs

Apple filling:
-3 small apples, peeled and cut into cubes
-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-2 teaspoon white sugar

Crumb topping:
-1/2 cup oats
-1/2 cup brown sugar
-1/2 cup butter, softened
-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
-1/2 cup whole wheat flour


Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
  2. Place the dough ingredients in a food processor, and process until mixture resembles coarse meal.
  3. Press the dough evenly into a 13x9 inch baking pan with edges, and bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
  4. In the meantime, in a larger bowl, beat together the cream cheese and 1/2 cup white sugar until smooth. Ass in te eggs one at a time, beating around 20 seconds after each addition. Next add the vanilla and mix until combined.
  5. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the warm crust.
  6. In a medium bowl, mix together the apple filling ingredients. Spoon evenly over the cream cheese mixture.
  7. In the same bowl, mix together the oats, butter and flours. Add in the butter, and mix with a fork until the mixture looks like coarse meal. Sprinkle over the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle the 1/2 cup brown sugar over the oat mixture, and bake for 30 minutes, or until the filling is set. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
  8. Cut into squares and enjoy! Store in the refrigerator.

19 comments:

  1. These bars look sinful and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful looking bars - apple and cheesecake are two of my favourite things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love this combination! One of my favorites in fact! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm cheesecake and apple bars, this sounds perfect :D
    Great dessert!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cookie bars look sensational with streusel topping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathleen, I have not baked with apples before. I think this Apple Cheesecake Cookie Bar is a good place to start!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Baking withdrawal, you don't say - when I saw this my eyes opened wide and my jaw dropped, this looks seriously amazing Cathleen! I tried to make two cheesecakes last year (no bake, as I thought the oven was broke, later found out it was just the plug in the wall....fail!), but this... YUM! :D
    Welcome back the real world by the way! When I read the beginning of your post "Back to life, back to reality" started playing in my head for a few seconds there, haha :P I hope the week's treating you well so far, and am looking forward to see what you come up with in the future! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to have you back.. and with this yummy recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back Cathleen and thanks for bringing this wonderful dish with you ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds wonderful.. apple cheesecake is a recipe I definitely need to give a try. My husband loves apple desserts.. so I am sure this one will be a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, this looks fantastic!! I've never had an apple cheesecake before...but now I really want to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, these bars look so delicious! I am crazy for apples anytime of the year

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Cathleen, these bars look amazing, love this combination!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Cathleen, these cheesecake bard with apple sound and look delicious, I would love to have one...
    Have a wonderful weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks delicious! Love the crumble on top!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Who cares if it's not apple season...these look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Apple cheesecake? Anytime! Looks delicious!

    www.allnnothng.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Even if you haven`t made an actual cheesecake, making all those other forms of "cheesecakes" are good enough as they also taste amazing. These are so perfect as I`m picturing them in my head.

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.